Development Intern Job Description
Compensation: Unpaid Internship
Benefits: Fundraising hours experience toward GFRE or GPA certification, potential college credit, experience as part of a Development Team, excellent training, no set office hours (work on your own schedule)
Location: Remote – work from anywhere in the US
Background: Grassroots Funding.org is a national nonprofit fundraising shop with a mission to make expert fundraising services accessible and affordable for under-resourced nonprofit organizations. We provide a full range of diversified fundraising services to our partners remotely. We focus on the development of a strong donor base and an annual, localized, integrated, multi-channel fundraising plan for each partner.
Our partners are small, impact-driven nonprofits serving their communities with a variety of mission purposes including; arts, environment, direct service, publishing, African American youth, and accessibility. We work in diverse communities such as; Boulder CO, LaFayette Parish LA, North Texas, SW Texas, Loudoun County VA, Coastal Georgia, Eastern Wisconsin.
To achieve excellence in serving a large variety of partners, Grassroots Funding.org is seeking six Development Interns. The interns will work directly with the Executive Director and other Development Interns to research and cultivate supporters, manage partner databases, track and evaluate fundraising efforts, and contribute to the Development Team’s professional knowledge bank. This is a great opportunity for motivated and well-organized individuals to learn grassroots fundraising, develop their fundraising skills, and learn about the nonprofit sector.
- Conducting prospect research on individual, community, foundation, and corporate donors
- Maintaining donor and grant databases, including calendaring deadlines, logging donations, generating and sending donor acknowledgements, logging donor appreciation efforts
- Supporting creation and dissemination of partners’ annual appeals
- Assisting with annual application and year-round tracking of workplace giving campaigns and similar state campaigns)
- Assisting staff with grant application writing and tracking
- Assisting staff with researching state and federal regulations regarding donor solicitation (e.g., registration with offices in other states) and general development efforts (e.g., raffles, auctions)
- Tracking and evaluating all development efforts
An ideal candidate must
- Be comfortable and competent working remotely
- Willingness to embrace technology platforms for communications, database management, work flow collaboration, research
- Be responsible, flexible, hard‐working, ethical, and committed to the mission of Grassroots Funding.org
- Possess a high level of organizational skills and thoroughness
- Possess solid oral and written communication skills
- Be skilled at a variety of computer skills, g., Microsoft Word and Excel, PowerPoint and Adobe Acrobat are mandatory; knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and databases a plus.
- Be able to juggle multiple tasks
- Possess an interest in a nonprofit career ‐ particularly development and fundraising
Time commitment: Minimum of 10 hours per week; minimum 3 month commitment, with longer most desirable
Compensation: This is an unpaid position. There is opportunity for school credit if allowed by the college/university of applicant. Position offers an excellent opportunity to work on substantive projects, build a resume, and can result in a great reference.
To apply: E‐mail cover letter, resume, and writing sample to Executive Director Kelley Carmichael Casey at email@example.com with a Re: line of “Application for Development Intern”